Friday, September 12, 2008

Of Pixies and Of Gnomes...

For some crazy reason today
I want to hear a story that says
"Once upon a time in a land far far away
There lived a farmer with his wife..."
I turn this way and that
I leaf through the text am reading
I grip my pencil harder
And shake myself up mentally
What is wrong with you? I ask
Why won't you concentrate?
Who is it that calls you back
To those days of sunshine and buttercups?
Is it Puck, the mischief-maker?
Or is it one of the Folks of Faraway Tree?
What is it that they want?
A Fretful Sigh
Or a Remembered Smile?
" I have not a thing to give you now" I say
"Leave me alone
Go away"
"Come" they smile
"It's a beautiful night
Through the Enchanted Woods"
The pixies dance
The goblins grin
The rainbow shines
And the castle gleams
"There's a maiden fair" they say
"Whose story shall be told today"
"I know
I know"
I snort
"All that's there to their lot
Rosy cheeks and slippered feet
Dimpled chins and Light within.
What is it that can be new?"
I turn back to my book anew
Comes a whisper with the breeze
"It's not the Prince who she seeks
But the Pirate that set sails for the seas!"