Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Honesty is the best policy or is it?


Honesty is the best policy----this is an old one
Someone somewhere must have told you so sometime---most probably as a kid I would venture and then I would go further and say, then it certainly must have been some time now :)
So as an adult now, what do you think?
How much water do you think this statement holds?

You know what... of late I watch this show on Star World called the Moment Of Truth every tuesdays.
In case you haven't caught any episode lemme just tell you it's a reality show wherein contestants are asked 21 very personal questions which if answered truthfully gets them five million dollars!
Which is a lot of money
And which is a lot tougher to earn than it sounds.
You just need to catch one of the episodes to know what I mean
I find it a very very compulsive watch....there's just something about the Truth that makes one want to know.... it makes you feel like Pandora sitting there staring at her box, wondering.... always wondering.

Anyways as I sat there today transfixed, watching the contestant squirm about in her chair trying to answer something that would put a lot of things on the line least of which is the money and all very publicly at that I couldn't help but wonder how much honesty is good?

How much would you risk for the Truth?

Is it sensible to always be brutally honest when you know that a bit of twisting around the bare facts or sometimes even an outright lie is the best course to take in a given situation?

'Coz I believe that sometimes a truth can be more devastating than a million lies

Sometimes the truth is best left unsaid

Sometimes a lie can mean the whole world

And sometimes I will choose to simply take/give one lie over all the money in the world without batting an eyelid if it meant I could protect someone I really cared for or an institution/ideology I really believed in with all my heart...

So I don't know about you but personally I feel that honesty maybe the best policy mostly but not absolutely.

Nothing is absolute---there's always something relative.

And it's not always about Honesty.

Sometimes its about the greater of two "goods" or the lesser of two "evils"