Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Places in my Head...

Everyone has them...

They maybe the tinniest cobwebbed corner of the college library looked upon by grave faced ancient books or an entire riverside on a sparkling clear bright eyed december morning.

They are The Places in your head...

Places that made you who you are today in some undefinable manner...
Places that instantly takes you back in time to simpler happier days...

They are your resort of peace...they are your happy memories...they are the shared smile when you chance upon a vanished friend...

Here goes some of mine :)

1] THE CHANDANNAGORE STRAND

This just have to be the most beautiful place on the bank of the Hooghly...immortalised in the school anthem of my alma mater...

"Here in Western Bengal set, snug on the Hooghly side
Stands with mother's arms around us
The school that is our joy and pride
Hurray!!!"

It's the place where Enid Blyton entralled yet another young mind, the place where another bunch of giggly school girls celebrated their win in the Annual Sports Meet with Bhelpuri and Puchka, the place where adolescent love wrote an utterly miserable first love letter hehe...ie before the dawn of sms age...




2] MY SCHOOL



It would be blasphemous to try and describe SJC...and what it meant to me and to every SJCians down the ages :)
So I won't even try!






3] THE SACRED HEART CHURCH, CHANDANNAGORE AND THE SCHOOL CHAPEL

Hmmmm...this one's tricky
'cause have never been much of a believer...
I swing from doubting on the best of days to agnostic on the worst
But well none of these two has got anything to do with religion...
And have everything to do with memories :)
I just love the sound of them church bells...they are the sound of my very own Christmas Past, the feel of the warm blue school cardigan and the wet morning frost on my hair...they are the Christmas of my childhood...they are the kaleidoscopic pattern thrown by stained glass windows on white walls on a peaceful first friday afternoon prayer meet





4] THE SCHOOL BASKETBALL COURT

Haha they hark back to my athletic days....the days I could kick your ass for the Interhouse Basketball Championship Meet ;)
The days I bunked my trignometry classes like fun to play ball!!!



5] THE SCHOOL LIBRARY

It's the place where I fell in love for the first time...
I meant with them books!!!
Hehe...why? what did you think?!!!!




6] COLLEGE STREET
College Street!!!
It's one of those places that define an entire breed...the breed known as the "intellectual bengali"
You have to be experience it to know it :)


From the quaint little second hand book stores to the Calcutta University, the Indian Coffee House to the College Square, The prestigious Presidency College to the oldest Medical College in Asia, this single street has history engraved on every single pebble...it has seen it all happen, from the whispered secret plans of some of the country's foremost freedom fighters to the whispered endearments of college sweethearts ;)
It's living, talking, breathing academia baby! :D


It's my first stethoscope, its my second hand Harry Potter books, its my 2am chai break from night emergency duty, its my silly laughter in the friendliest company, its the most fun I ever had on any single street!!! :)

7] CALCUTTA MEDICAL COLLEGE AND HOSPITAL
How do I define College life?!!!
Correction
Question is need I?!!! ;)


8] THE ANATOMY HALL AND MUSEUM

It's the sight of my first cadaver
It's the realisation "Oh Shit! Am actually gonna be a doctor!!!"
It's the first ragging session :D
It's my first ummmm...well you know ;)
And if you don't then well AM NOT TELLING haha :P


9] THE EDEN HOSPITAL

It's my Gynae and Obs rotation
It's the end of internship year
It's the end of an era :'(
:)



10] PARK STREET

It's my plus two years,
It's the start of my "Calcutta Years"
It's Music World after playing truant at Loreto House :D
It's One Step Up and my first glass of red wine ;)
It's my first job...as in an actual job!!!


Life's sequestered in all these places
Memories abound...
They tell me where I come from
Long after I am gone :)

These places in my head makes me who I am today!!!